Kui soovid kohe lugema hakata, siis osta selle raamatu e-versioon.
Raamatukogud! See raamat on saadaval ka läbi EBL e-raamatute laenutamise platvormi. EBL'ist lähemalt siit.
Raamatu kodulehekülg: http://www.oup.com
"The father of history," as Cicero called him, and a writer possessed of remarkable narrative gifts, enormous scope, and considerable charm, Herodotus has always been beloved by readers well-versed in the classics. Compelled by his desire to "prevent the traces of human events from being erased by time," Herotodus recounts the incidents preceding and following the Persian Wars. He gives us much more than military history, though, providing the fullest portrait of the classical world of the 5th and 6th centuries.
Translated by Robin Waterfield, a distinguished translator whose version of Plato's Republic has been described as `the best available', this readable new translation is supplemented with expansive notes to help the reader appreciate the book in depth.
Herodotus is not only known as the 'father of history', as Cicero called him, but also the father of ethnography; as well as charting the historical background to the Persian Wars, his curiosity also prompts frequent digression on the cultures of the peoples he introduces. While much of the information he gives has proved to be astonishingly accurate, he also entertains us with delightful tales of one-eyed men and gold-digging ants. This readable new translation is supplemented with expansive notes that provide readers the background that they need to appreciate the book in depth. * Introduction * Textual Note *Bibliography * Chronology * Appendices * Glossary * Maps * Explanatory Notes * Textual Notes * Index of Proper Names ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
Carolyn Dewald is Associate Professor of Classics at the University of Southern California. Robin Waterfield is a distinguished translator whose version of Plato's Republic has been described as the best available'.
- Thucydides, Martin Hammond
- "The greatest historian that ever lived." Such was Macaulay's assessment of Thucydides (c. 460-400 BC) and his history of the Peloponnesian War, the m...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 11-Jun-2009, Paperback, Kirjastus: Oxford University Press, ISBN-13: 9780192821911)
- Hind: 6,99 EUR
(Tavahind: 16,99 EUR)
- Laos olemas 1 eks.
On Sparta Revised
- Plutarch, Richard J. A. Talbert, Richard J. A. Talbert, Christopher Pelling
- Plutarch's vivid and engaging portraits of the Spartans and their customs are a major source of our knowledge about the rise and fall of this rema...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 26-May-2005, Paperback, Kirjastus: Penguin Books Ltd, ISBN-13: 9780140449433)
- Hind: 12,74 EUR
(Tavahind: 16,99 EUR)
Complete Greek Tragedies, v.3, Pt.1, Euripides
- David Grene, Richmond Lattimore, Euripides
- Each of the sixteen tragedies is preceded by notes on plot, theme, and characters
In nine paperback volumes, the Grene and Lattimore edit...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 01-Feb-1955, Paperback, Kirjastus: The University of Chicago Press, ISBN-13: 9780226307800)
- Hind: 13,50 EUR
Theogony and Works and Days
- Hesiod, M.L. West
- This new, fully-annotated translation by a leading expert on Hesiodic poems combines accuracy with readability and includes an introduction and explan...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 11-Dec-2008, Paperback, Kirjastus: Oxford University Press, ISBN-13: 9780199538317)
- Hind: 5,10 EUR
(Tavahind: 12,79 EUR)
- Laos olemas 1 eks.
Complete Greek Tragedies, v.1, Pt.1, Aeschylus
- David Grene, Richmond Lattimore, Aeschylus
- A brief discussion of the life of Aeschylus and the structure of early tragedy accompanies a translation of the three plays based on H. W. Smyth's Loe...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 01-May-1969, Paperback, Kirjastus: The University of Chicago Press, ISBN-13: 9780226307787)
- Hind: 14,20 EUR