|Formaat: Paperback / softback, 400 pages|
Vintage Contemporaries |
|Kirjastus: Random House Inc|
Raamatu kohalejõudmiseks kulub orienteeruvalt 2-4 nädalat|
Kui soovid kohe lugema hakata, siis osta selle raamatu e-versioon.
A first novel by the author of the short-story collection, St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves finds the Bigtree children struggling to protect their Florida Everglades alligator-wrestling theme park from a sophisticated competitor after losing their parents. Includes reading-group guide. Reprint.
From the celebrated twenty-nine-year-old author of the everywhere-heralded short-story collection St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (“How I wish these were my own words, instead of the breakneck demon writer Karen Russell’s . . . Run for your life. This girl is on fire”—Los Angeles Times Book Review) comes a blazingly original debut novel that takes us back to the swamps of the Florida Everglades, and introduces us to Ava Bigtree, an unforgettable young heroine.
The Bigtree alligator-wrestling dynasty is in decline, and Swamplandia!, their island home and gator-wrestling theme park, formerly #1 in the region, is swiftly being encroached upon by a fearsome and sophisticated competitor called the World of Darkness. Ava’s mother, the park’s indomitable headliner, has just died; her sister, Ossie, has fallen in love with a spooky character known as the Dredgeman, who may or may not be an actual ghost; and her brilliant big brother, Kiwi, who dreams of becoming a scholar, has just defected to the World of Darkness in a last-ditch effort to keep their family business from going under. Ava’s father, affectionately known as Chief Bigtree, is AWOL; and that leaves Ava, a resourceful but terrified thirteen, to manage ninety-eight gators and the vast, inscrutable landscape of her own grief.
Against a backdrop of hauntingly fecund plant life animated by ancient lizards and lawless hungers, Karen Russell has written an utterly singular novel about a family’s struggle to stay afloat in a world that is inexorably sinking. An arrestingly beautiful and inventive work from a vibrant new voice in fiction.
From the Hardcover edition.
- David Foster Wallace
- The Internal Revenue Service Regional Examination Centre in Peoria, Illinois, 1985. Here the workers fight a never-ending war against the urgency...
- (Ilmumisaeg: 05-Apr-2012, Paperback, Kirjastus: Penguin Books Ltd, ISBN-13: 9780141046730)
- Hind: 11,31 EUR
(Tavahind: 15,09 EUR)
Vampires in the Lemon Grove
- Karen Russell
- On Strong Beach, an awkward teen with a terrible haircut has a reversal of fortune when he finds artefacts from the future lining a seagulls' nest....
- (Ilmumisaeg: 07-Mar-2013, Hardback, Kirjastus: Chatto & Windus, ISBN-13: 9780701187880)
- Hind: 16,38 EUR
(Tavahind: 21,84 EUR)
- Denis Johnson
- The highly acclaimed new novel by the National Book Award winnng author of Tree of Smoke....
- (Ilmumisaeg: 06-Sep-2012, Hardback, Kirjastus: Granta Books, ISBN-13: 9781847086617)
- Hind: 19,14 EUR