1. Then and Now
2. The Classical Roots: Farewell to the Socratic Method
3. The Classical Roots: Aristotle and Beyond
4. The Religious Roots: Priests and Rabbis
5. The Religions Roots: Medieval Intermezzo
6. The Birth of the University
7. The Age of Innovation
8. Learning the New Techniques
9. The Advent of Science
10. Science Develops Outside "Academia"
11. The Advent of Modern University. Appendix 1: Galileo and the Medici: Post-Renaissance Patronage or Post-Modern Historiography? Appendix 2: Kuhn, Meritocracy, and Excellence
Michael Segre is Professor of the History of Science at the Gabriele D'Annunzio University in Chieti. He is the author of numerous books and articles, including In the Wake of Galileo (1991) and Peano's Axioms in their Historical Context (1994).