1. Introduction: Is privacy suffering from a digital disease?
2. A systemic perspective on privacy and identification
3. The interplay between identity, identification and privacy
4. Identification practices and the digital transformation of society
5. The privacy control dilemma of digital identification
6. How to regain control? Assessing privacy by design and privacy impact assessment
7. Towards an identifiability-based framework for privacy impact assessment
8. Is effective treatment of privacy possible? Summary and concluding remarks
Stefan Strauss is Senior Researcher at the Institute of Technology Assessment at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna, Austria.